I bought her an alarm clock for Christmas. Not just any alarm
clock, though, a kind of orb that glows rainbow colors and connects to your
iPod so you can wake up to the music of your choice. This is it, I thought, now
I’ll finally make her get up on her own and she’ll start to learn
responsibility. A promise to her, to myself.
And yet. Here it is March and still I heave myself out of bed,
eyes stinging, every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, the first one awake in a
silent house. I stumble down the hall, through the cluttered kitchen, and down
the brown-carpeted stairs toward her deep and purple den. I dread the next few
moments.
“Wake up time!” I chirp obnoxiously, and I gently shake her
bundles of blankets. She groans, rolls over, away from the soft turquoise light
of the alarm clock that has never been set to alarm. “C’mon, get up! You don’t
want to miss band!” Inside I’m ashamed, not wanting to fail her and knowing I
am.
I can’t go upstairs and start breakfast or she’ll sink right
back down to her dreams. I sit on her bed, bounce her up and down, sing silly
songs, start to get stern. Finally she sits, slowly moves her feet to the
floor, stands with her eyes closed like a rumpled member of the preteen undead.
We trudge up the stairs together, mother and daughter. I
should give her more credit, I chide myself for the hundredth time. Back away,
leave her to learn what it’s like to be late. Let her stumble her way into
teenager-hood, gain some independence. After all, I had to do it alone.
Shouldn’t I make her do more of it alone?
“Mom, will you brush my hair for me?” she mumbles, and I
automatically pick up the brush. Pull it through the tangled ends, fist grasped
firmly to hold handfuls away from her sensitive scalp. I don’t want to hurt her.
Lovely. How do you do it? (Every time)? xx
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect. I text Henry every morning to wake him up. But sometimes I have to go downstairs and turn on the light and basically drag him out of bed. Moms are nice to have around. What I'm trying to say is, you are a gift to your children.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely piece, Amy. I apologize that it's taken me til now to get to it. My son has never NOT gotten himself up, ready and out the door early for school. When I've tried to make a habit of being up when he gets up, he never wants any interaction or breakfast or anything from me, preferring his silent morning routine. I confess I mostly just sleep in now and I feel bad about it. I've been obsolete for years now, and wish he needed (and even wanted) more from me. Feels like a #momfail
ReplyDelete